Senegal – A memorable country on account of its beautiful landscape, plentiful experience and hospitable nature.

Pointe Atlantic has the pleasure of offering you the possibility of travel in this country, which we appreciate so much specially because of its welcoming people. Here you can enjoy lazy days on the beach, without having to share it with hundreds of other tanners, or you can spend you holiday actively exploring Senegal’s variety of possibilities in culture and nature.

The Portuguese ‘discovered’ the region in 1444, and enjoyed the monopoly of trade in both gold and slaves from West Africa until 1550. By then, countries like France, Holland and Great Britain were getting interested, and the competition between these got more and more difficult.

The French founded the city of St. Louis in 1659, and starting in 1814 proceeded in secured their position in the area. The colonization was finally lifted in 1958 and Senegal became independent in 1960, when Leopold Sedar Senghor was elected the country’s first president.
Since then Senegal has been a stable country, politically, and is today one out of few African countries that enjoy genuine freedom of speech and democracy.

The official language of Senegal is French, and the widest spread local language is that of Wolof. In addition to these there are a number of ethnic groups that have their own languages, although most of these also speak Wolof. In the tourist areas and in the big cities a lot of people speak English, but if you don’t speak French you will find it a lot easier to get around if you bring a French phrasebook.

Senegal stretches out over 197 000 sq km, which amounts to approximately half of Norway, and has a population of about 10 million inhabitants.

The major industry is agriculture, mainly peanuts, and cattle farming.
Its lengthy coast also makes fishing an important source of income for people and country alike, and makes possible the substantial export of fish to Europe from Senegal.

The landscape varies from lush savannah in the south, hilly terrain in the east to dry plains in the north. Archeological findings suggest that there have been people in Senegal for at least the last 15 000 years.

Approximately 90% of the population is Muslim, while the remaining 10 % are Christian or animists. The Islam practiced in Senegal is far from the fanatic or strict religious societies found other places, this is reflected in a liberal dress code and a style of living that is adjusted the modern society Senegal is.

Senegal has a prosperous culture tradition, whereof music plays a key role. The Senegal Ballet attracts a huge public worldwide and the best known musician at the time is Youssou N’Dour. You are able to see and hear him at his club in Dakar every weekend, if he is in the country that is, and not on tour.

Pointe Atlantic gives you an opportunity of experiencing most parts of this country. We offer everything from already planned round tours, special interest tours (see separate information), or you can bake your own cake by combining your favorites from the hotels and sights in our catalogue.